Pages

Breaking Down the Excuses That Stand in Your Way

 Today, I was in line at the grocery store when I overheard a rather obese woman in front of me complaining to her friend that she wanted to get in shape. As if putting words to my own thoughts, her friend then asked what was holding her back, to which she got the answer "I'm just too lazy for it."

She then unloaded her shopping cart full of snacks at the register.

This got me thinking about the ridiculous excuses people make to avoid doing anything difficult. Being "too lazy" is not a valid excuse for not doing something. It's a problem they could easily fix as well. Then I came to the conclusion that almost any excuse can be broken down to a ridiculous level, if questioned enough.

Breaking Down the Excuses

For instance, whenever someone I know complains about being out of shape, I ask him "Why don't you start working out, then?" I almost exclusively get answers like "because I'm too lazy", or "because I'm not disciplined enough" To which I always continue to ask "And why are you *insert provided lame excuse*?"
 
These excuses are always pure bullsh*t. Being lazy or undisciplined aren't valid excuses for anything, since it's easy to do something about that too. People who make such excuses and refuse to do anything about it are not awesome - An awesome person doesn't just give up like that. Oh no.
 
An awesome person will strive to overcome whatever is holding him back. If he is fat, he will begin a diet and exercise program. If he lacks the discipline to do that, he will begin working on improving his discipline. If he is too lazy to do that, he will start working on becoming less lazy. If he doesn't know how to become less lazy, he will try to find out how, and so on. An awesome person does not make lame excuses to cover for his weaknesses. Whatever they may be, he finds a way to fight them, one at a time!
 
Beating the Excuses
 
If you want to improve your awesomeness, you have to stop making excuses. And as I mentioned above, there is a simple way to make any excuse manageable - you simply need to break it down to the core. Question every excuse you make, and ask yourself "Why?" , until the chain of excuses sounds completely ridiculous. 
 
Just break down each and every one of your excuses to a manageable level, and start working from there. Every excuse can be overcome like this - it just takes a bit of time and effort. Because, as you will notice, every single excuse you make will start to sound ridiculously easy if you question it and backtrace it far enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment